History

History

1 November 1900

2000 – today
1994-2000
1991-1994
1987-1991
1982-1987
1947-1982
1932-1947
1929-1932
1921-1929
1920-1921

2000 – today

The crest with which Palermo finally returned to Serie A under the presidency of Maurizio Zamparini.

1994-2000

Once again, both the badge and the club’s name were changed. The eagle’s wings were back to pointing downwards, while as a result of the sponsorship agreement with the city council, the club was renamed as U.S. Citta di Palermo.

1991-1994

Inspired by English and Scottish clubs, Giovanni Ferrara’s time as president oversaw the eagle taking on a more ferocious guise. The bird was depicted as if about to take flight from above a shield coloured in pink and black.

1987-1991

A new badge for a new club. Following Palermo’s rebirth under President Salvino Lagumina, the crest changed to a shield encompassing a white eagle’s head meant to symbolise purity. Diagonal bands of pink and black crossed the shield with the club’s new name at the head: Unione Sportiva Palermo.

1982-1987

President Roberto Parisi decided to renew the crest that had lasted for over 30 years, during which time there were multiple promotions to Serie A and Coppa Italia finals under the presidency of Renzo Barbera. There was a return to the diamond shape, with the jet-black head of an eagle wearing a pink and black collar at its centre.

1947-1982

The presidency of Baron Stefano La Motta coincided with a drastic change to the badge. A crown was put on the eagle, its wings were lowered and between its claws there was now the inscription: Senatus Populus Que Panormitanus (S.P.Q.P.).

1932-1947

The club’s first appearance in Serie A, under the presidency of Francesco Paolo Barresi. The diamond was replaced by a golden eagle holding in its claws an olive branch, the symbol of peace. An eagle was chosen because it is also a symbol of Palermo, conferred on the city by William I in 1150.

1929-1932

Baron Luigi Bordonaro di Gebbiarossa, president of the club, got in touch with futurist painter of the era Giuseppe Rizzo to design a new crest. The result was a horizontal diamond, inscribed with the club’s name, inside a circle.

1921-1929

Almost two years later, Colombo, under pressure from Palermitan fans who had fallen in love with the shirt colours, decided to change the badge from white and blue to the now legendary pink and black. A masterful choice.

1920-1921

After the newly founded football club joined the FIGC, Valentino Colombo, then president of the Provincial Sports Committee, came up with a half-white, half-blue shield as the crest. The colours were borrowed from Racing F.B.C, a club sold by the Member of Parliament Francesco Zito to Colombo in 1919. “Palermo F.B.C.” was written diagonally across the middle.